[OSM-talk] Microsoft Buildings vs. OpenStreetMap visualization

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Sat Aug 3 00:14:00 UTC 2019

On 8/2/2019 7:24 AM, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> Here's a demo by azavea showing how 125 Million AI-mapped buildings
> relate to 33 Million buildings currently in OpenStreetMap in the same
> region.
>
> https://demos.azavea.com/building-footprint-comparison/#4.4/38.67/-93.93

Thanks, this is interesting.

Browsing the areas I'm most familiar with in NYC (where we had a
building footprint import from city data in 2013), I find that the
buildings that are detected by Microsoft but missing from OSM are mostly
either already demolished buildings (currently mapped as
landuse=construction), small outbuildings, or simply nonexistent. In the
cemetery, Microsoft has picked out a few of the more impressive tombs
and mausoleums. And in one case Azavea seems to have failed to notice a
building that's been mapped in OSM for years (since the import.)

Browsing more rural areas in upstate NY, I see thousands of unmapped
buildings, mostly houses, that Microsoft successfully detected -- in
some cases despite tree cover. The sizes are pretty good and the
footprints are okayish. Oddly some of them seem slightly rotated, maybe
a trick of the shadows.