[OSM-talk] Microsoft Buildings vs. OpenStreetMap visualization

Wayne Emerson, Jr. ibemerson at verizon.net
Mon Aug 5 15:32:26 UTC 2019

As far as I know, the "Bing Only" layer in the comparison tool
represents the vector data that Microsoft has made available here:
https://github.com/Microsoft/USBuildingFootprints

My experience has been that about 50% of the Bing buildings are rotated
to an incorrect orientation. In other rare cases it mapped the various
puddles on a flat roof as separate buildings. So I personally would not
use the Bing data as it is too inaccurate.

As far as the comparison tool - it looks great! But I did notice that it
failed to recognize buildings that exist in OSM as multipolygon
relations. I already sent feedback to the tool developer about this.

-Rassilon

On 8/5/2019 8:58 AM, Dave F via talk wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is the 'Bing only' vector?
>
> On 02/08/2019 12:24, Darafei "Kom??pa" Praliaskouski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here's a demo by azavea showing how 125 Million AI-mapped buildings relate
>> to 33 Million buildings currently in OpenStreetMap in the same region.
>>
>> https://demos.azavea.com/building-footprint-comparison/#4.4/38.67/-93.93

---