[OSM-talk] Survey on global and local communities in OpenStreetMap

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 7 21:36:34 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 8/7/19 23:24, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> In other words: What the survey says is you are welcome to provide your
> ideas through the survey but we, the creators of the survey, reserve
> the right to interpret your answers as we see fit and neither you nor
> anyone else may correct us if we do not correctly interpret what you
> wrote.

I think that part of the motivation for doing surveys is that there was
a belief that some people don't want to say something in public e.g. on
a mailing list for fear of their opinion being challenged.

Of course, if you say your opinion through an intermediary, there is
*always* the risk of the intermediary deliberately or accidentally
misinterpreting our opinion. That's the downside, and the upside is you
get so say what you think without anyone challenging you about it. It's
a deal that you can take if you want; and if you don't want it then you
can *still* post your opinion on a mailing list or forum or your user
diary, where you can speak directly without being interpreted by an
intermediary - or even post your survey responses publicly like you did.

Bye
Frederik