[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 12:17:14 UTC 2019

About the 50% exception. i recently had to be unpleasant with Fatmap
(their app and website https://fatmap.com/), after 2 months of zero
action from their side. Source
https://twitter.com/iamnunocaldeira/status/1136624467000602624 after my
message on the 3rd of August, they contacted me via private message, to
which i explained how to attribute, linking to copyright page, OSMF
guidelines and license terms. They stated:

> "Thank you - yes our mapping and tech teams are in touch with them
> both now. _We have over 20 different providers for our map_, all with
> different requirements and different integrations. So we are working
> out the best solution!"

To which i replied i had nothing to do with the other sources, how they
must fulfil the other sources attribution (if applies)  and they should
comply with our attribution as required. They then replied:

> Once we have found a solution together with the OSM and MapBox teams,
> I will let you know!"
i asked them with whom of OSM/OSMF they are speaking to, they never
replied back. Can anyone from OSMF tell me with who they are working in
OSM/OSMF? I would like to know or if they are just saying they are
talking to, when they are not. AFAIK we do not open exceptions about
this subject.

Another concern i have by their reply is Mapbox teams dictating how and
when the attribution must be displayed. This being said, i start to
believe we should remove the 50% exception (how would we actually know
if it's 51% OSM or 49%?), because it will be used as a loophole to avoid
the attribution. Fatmap example is a perfect of Christoph concern about
corporate usage. We shouldn't place our data/derivate with attribution
with the same usage of paid map data/derivates that is not subject to
attribution if paid for.

It's just another example to the long list of example of Strava,
Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo Livestream (Mapbox client, that has their
legal dept checking if they should attribute or not) and more that are
using OSM without attributing at all. As i have shared on other lists,
_*it's a shame*_ most of these lack of attribution examples i gave comes
first or second handed from corporate members of OSMF (Facebook and
Mapbox). Up until they give an example of how to be good citizens of
OSM, these guidelines won't solve the issue. For months, both of these
companies have been silence about it and OSMF board too. Which results
in the lack of attribution being a "normal thing", when it's not.

Sadly i'm starting to believe these lack of attribution will only be
solved once a contributor (individual or a national agency that provided
data to OSM under the license) sues one of these companies. As we know
as soon as someone does not comply with the license (or formally
informed by the licensor) it's rights are terminated. If a contributor
wants to sue for their content that they licensed to OSMF to be
distributed only under ODbL, they are legit to take action. If this
occurs, i fear it will damage OSM/OSMF image and fear of usage of data.
which is not what we want and will affect OSMF OBJECTS
<https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#OBJECTS>.
All of it can be avoided by simply doing what's on the license, instead
of arguing if it should or not attribute open data that they are using
for free without crediting.

Mea culpa as i also helped on this guidance. We do need to improve it,
so feel free to suggest, share concerns.