[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 19:24:11 UTC 2019

> . Plus, if anyone went to court trying to enforce something that OSMF
> recommended that was outside the licence, they would lose, and perhaps
> be forced by the court to pay attorney's fees.

Maybe individual contributors might feel "scary" of the attorney fees,
but probably not these contributors (some even shared under CC):

> Our contributors are thousands of individuals. We also include
> openly-licensed data from national mapping agencies and other sources,
> among them:
>
>   * *Austria*: Contains data from Stadt Wien
>     <https://data.wien.gv.at/> (under CC BY
>     <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/at/deed.de>), Land
>     Vorarlberg
>     <https://www.vorarlberg.at/vorarlberg/bauen_wohnen/bauen/vermessung_geoinformation/weitereinformationen/services/wmsdienste.htm>
>     and Land Tirol (under CC BY AT with amendments
>     <https://www.tirol.gv.at/applikationen/e-government/data/nutzungsbedingungen/>).
>
>   * *Australia*: Contains data sourced from PSMA Australia Limited
>     <https://www.psma.com.au/psma-data-copyright-and-disclaimer>
>     licensed by the Commonwealth of Australia under CC BY 4.0
>     <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.
>   * *Canada*: Contains data from GeoBase®, GeoGratis (© Department of
>     Natural Resources Canada), CanVec (© Department of Natural
>     Resources Canada), and StatCan (Geography Division, Statistics
>     Canada).
>   * *Finland*: Contains data from the National Land Survey of
>     Finland's Topographic Database and other datasets, under the NLSFI
>     License
>     <https://www.maanmittauslaitos.fi/en/opendata-licence-version1>.
>   * *France*: Contains data sourced from Direction Générale des Impôts.
>   * *Netherlands*: Contains © AND data, 2007 (www.and.com
>     <https://www.and.com>)
>   * *New Zealand*: Contains data sourced from the LINZ Data Service
>     <https://data.linz.govt.nz/> and licensed for reuse under CC BY
>     4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.
>   * *Slovenia*: Contains data from the Surveying and Mapping Authority
>     <http://www.gu.gov.si/en/> and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry
>     and Food <http://www.mkgp.gov.si/en/> (public information of
>     Slovenia).
>   * *Spain*: Contains data sourced from the Spanish National
>     Geographic Institute (IGN <http://www.ign.es/>) and National
>     Cartographic System (SCNE <http://www.scne.es/>) licensed for
>     reuse under CC BY 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.
>   * *South Africa*: Contains data sourced from Chief Directorate:
>     National Geo-Spatial Information <http://www.ngi.gov.za/>, State
>     copyright reserved.
>   * *United Kingdom*: Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright
>     and database right 2010-19.

from https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

Would be interesting to hear from these agencies what their thoughts of
the lack of attribution or different interpretation of ODbL. Probably
not happy and would certainly arm OSMF reputation.