[OSM-talk] Bridging the Geospatial Digital Divide

Suchith Anand suchith_anand at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 17:51:59 UTC 2019

In July 2019, colleagues at theRegional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD)  organised successful training program in Open Source Tools, Data and Applications. Participants from  Eswatini Kingdom, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Lesotho, Zambia and Zimbabwe were given training in Open Source Tools, Data and Applications.

Details athttps://www.rcmrd.org/training-on-open-source-tools-data-and-applications-in-eswatini

This is a good example of Bridging the Geospatial Digital Divide and providing opportunities for economically poor communities also to be part of the geo digital economy. I am grateful to all colleagues working on this excellent initiative.

I request all colleagues to expand this ideas and scale up geoeducation by using our resources at https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/please-share-geoforall-teaching-research-resources-colleagues-students/

I wish to send my greetings to all colleagues for theDigital Earth Africa Day on 12th August 2019. Digital Earth Africa [1][2] will transform the continent’s capacity to process and analyze satellite data for better decision making across many areas, including water, forest and coastal resource management, agriculture, and urban development. Digital Earth Africa Day will take place on the sidelines of the RCMRD International Conference & 4th AfriGEOSS Symposium at the RCMRD Campus,Nairobi, Kenya. Details athttp://ric2019.rcmrd.org

I am grateful to all colleagues working for bridging the geospatial digital divide and providing opportunities for economically poor to also be part of the geo digital economy. Let us all work together to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1]http://www.ga.gov.au/digitalearthafrica

[2[https://www.opendatacube.org