[OSM-talk] sending location from a smart phone.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 01:53:32 UTC 2019

On 18/08/19 11:22, John Whelan wrote:
> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to
> download What3words then tell them their location.
>
> Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with
> the long and lat?
>
> ref
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760

I would think that reading the lat lon to them should work, they should
be able to do any translation!

Australia has an app..

https://emergencyapp.triplezero.gov.au/

That places the GPS location information on the screen...so it can be
read out to the emergency operator.

Note: The emergency line in Australia is unable to take SMS calls.
Possibly similar things elsewhere. This is unfortunate as some callers
have low battery and could be better served with SMS to save the battery.