[OSM-talk] Anonymous comments on notes now disabled

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Aug 30 13:47:27 UTC 2019

30 Aug 2019, 15:16 by talk at openstreetmap.org:

> On 29/08/2019 22:46, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Perversely, it is much easier to fight a vandal creating new, useless notes (by just
>>
>> closing them) than it is to clean up their droppings from existing notes.
>>

> I don't understand the logic of that. Whether a note is 5 seconds or 5 years old, it's still "existing"  & it's content, irrelevant or no.t will not change over time.

Spam in otherwise useful notes (typically it was vandal adding multiple single letter comments
in all notes within region) makes using them more frustrating and generates notifications
to all earlier contributors. I was forced to autodelete all notifications about anonymous comments,
so many were useless "a" spam.

Useless note can be closed and is quickly gone (afaik within 2 weeks by default - both in JOSM
and on the website). While many notes with useful reports remain open for months and litter there affects
more people.