[OSM-talk] Relevance of the “name” tag in places where there is no obvious associated language

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 15:58:06 UTC 2019

On 06/12/2019 15:10, Tomek wrote:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/305640277
>
> W dniu 19-12-06 o 16:08, Tomek pisze:
>> EN
>> Is this change acceptable and can I continue?
>>
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/78060265

Not yet.  Wait what people say in reply.

I personally am not a fan of using 8 different names in one name tag
(though some countries that have multiple equal languages do favour that
nationally).   The example here "Baltijas jūra / Baltijos jūra / Itämeri
/ Läänemeri / Morze Bałtyckie / Östersjön / Østersøen / Ostsee /
Балтийское море" seems a bit clumsy.

Is there an international language used within shipping worldwide?
Perhaps that would be a better option than this.

Best Regards,

Andy