[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] tagtransform for OSM - An effort to make tagging and using OSM data easier; bridging different worlds together

Sören Reinecke tilmanreinecke at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 19 12:44:43 UTC 2019

Hello,

I think I need to provide an overview of tagtransform for you to
understand what I want to achieve and to get the idea of bridging. An
update of the repository with better explanation will follow. Some
things changed and some users inspired me so I forgot to update the
README.md accordingly.

Tagtransform specification: (Need ideas to add to the specification,
read here the specification and here you get to know how to contribute)
- The specification enables the convertion from one format to another
by inventing a language that acts as a connection point. This is useful
for offline usage of the rules in the format the app developer can
better work with.
- Bridge between languages
  - e.g. JOSM xml <--> tagtransform specification <--> iD json
  - Data Item database <--> tagtransform specification <--> JOSM xml
- You can contribute to tagtransform
  - by improving the specification
  - by developing scripts that use the specification
  - by developing converters that convert tagtransform specification to
other formats like JSOM xml

Role of validators:
- Validators can take the data from Data Items to create validation
rules
- and can also inspire the Data Item OSM Community by providing them
with validation suggestions.

Role of editors:
- Editors can take the data from Data Items to automatically transform
deprecated tags and to discard discardable tags.
- For offline usage they can fetch data from Data Items and can
transform them to tagtransform specification.
- Recommend a specified POI tagging through presets or automatically
transforming wrong used tags like deprecated ones to new ones.

OSM Data Item Community: (important because tagtransform will use data
they create)
- They have the necessary infrastructure to host key/tag data and they
have already a bunch of these inclusive validation rules and usage
rules.
- They're mappers and understand how keys/tags are used and can
transfer that to meta sphere used by data customers, editors and
validators.
- Go to the Data Item Wikipage to get what it is all about and how to
contribute to Data Items.

Bots/Scripts: (Please do not work on unless we make the specification
production-ready)
- Can be used to query Data Item database for preprocessing data for
later use like offline usage or data analysation at larger scale
- through converting received data to tagtransform specification.
- You can contribute to tagtransform by developing scripts that make
use of the Data Item database of OSM Wiki by fetching them and
converting them to tagtransform specification.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Sören Reinecke alias ValorNaram