[OSM-talk] Renaming Macedonia

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Mon Feb 4 23:10:06 UTC 2019

Do we need a plan?

I noticed someone overzealous had changed the name in Icelandic to a translation of Northern Macedonia, however that is not the name of the country in Icelandic except for possibly now in official usage. We always referred to it as Macedonia before and FYROM equivalent only in very specific circumstances. We will continue to do so - also according to the Icelandic State Department current lists it is still Makedónía.

A name given to a country by others doesn't always reflect the locals preferences, indeed the Czechs deciding between Czechia and Czech Republic doesn't affect us as we will refer to them always as Tékkland.

This renaming will be done on a language by language basis I believe, and possibly the only things that need to be updated are official_name:lang tags, not the name:lang tags.

-- JBJ / Stalfur