[OSM-talk] HTTPS all the Things (Automated Edit)

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri Feb 22 20:36:28 UTC 2019

On 2/22/2019 2:02 AM, Bryce Jasmer wrote:
> I have written a script that will search for OSM objects that have a
> website tag that explicitly states "http://..." or implicitly uses
> http by leaving of the protocol specification. The script will then
> loop through all that it discovers and asks the http site if it will
> redirect me to the secure version of the website over the https
> protocol. If it does, I will update the database with the new value.
>
> This has a couple of advantages. From now through the end of time, any
> user clicking on one of those links will be spared the time it takes
> to establish the connection, ask if there is a secure version of the
> site, and tear down the connection. It's on the order of 10-200 ms to
> do, but over the life of the link and the number of objects that are
> clicked and the population, this could save centuries of time :-)
>
> Another advantage is that it will make https more pervasive and
> hopefully people will start thinking https and forgetting all about
> http. A more secure internet is in all of our best interests.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to (slowly) run this across the planet. I've
> discussed this on the US Slack channel and have performed the actions
> on the United States already. I've addressed many questions and have
> heard no strong objections. I'm seeking feedback from the larger
> community now before proceeding.
>
> The wiki page is
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/b-jazz
>
> The Slack conversation is available, but has died down and the
> transcript is available at the wiki page mentioned above.
>
> The diary entry with some more conversation is at the bot's page:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/b-jazz-bot/diary/47743
>
> The source code is available on GitLab for review:
> https://gitlab.com/b-jazz/https_all_the_things
>
> Example changeset for a run over the "9yfd" geohash:
>
> I welcome your input.

Hi Bryce -- I've been observing these automated changes around NYC. I'd
like to humbly request you run these sorts of large projects by the
Talk-US mailing list before implementation, since there are many mappers
(dozens of us!) who don't choose to spend time on Slack. (Apologies if
you did post and I missed it -- that's bound to happen sometimes.)

Personally I've been updating these tags to https manually as I come
across them (sometimes prompted by Keepright), IF I can verify that the
business (etc) in question is still a going concern and still located in
the same place.

IMO the value of an automated edit when there's already a redirect in
place is minimal enough that I don't think it justifies bumping the
version and modification date. Just my opinion.

(Also, why are you adding a trailing slash to everything?)

Thanks for posting your code -- I'm contemplating an automated import of
my own and I've been meaning to browse some modern bot code to get me
started.

Jason