[OSM-talk] Bot edits on the OSM wiki

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Feb 24 23:43:16 UTC 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:

> a bot has edited an OSM wiki page on my watchlist

Diff(s), please.

> spamming my watchlist feed

Its possible to exclude bot edits from watchlists; note the checkbox
at the top of your watchlist; and the "advanced options" sections of
the "watchlist" tab in your prefenrnces.

> Should bots continue to make edits on the OSM wiki

Depending on the type of edit; yes.

> that would for me
> mean the end of it as a platform of cooperation and communication.  To
> me bots messing with the content of communication on a platform like
> this makes it fundamentally unsuitable as a means for communication
> between human beings in a community project like OSM.

I know of several wikis that would cease to function without bots; not
least for the removal of spam and abusive postings, but also for
performing maintenance tasks in bulk,

> Note this has nothing to do with the merits of the edits themselves.

That should be the only consideration

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing