[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 28 22:50:55 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-28 2:35 p.m., Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> In recent years some OSM data consumers and "OSM as a service"
> providers have begun to put the credit to OpenStreetMap behind an
> click-through 'About', 'Credits', 'Legal' or '(i)' link. Examples:
>
> https://docs.mapbox.com/help/img/android/android-first-steps-intro.png
> https://www.systemed.net/osm/IMG_1846.PNG

In my mind what makes these examples particularly egregious is how they
find room for image logos. If there's room for a Mapbox or Tomtom logo
like in the images above, there's room for (c) OpenStreetMap

With maps like this, I would expect a "reasonably calculated"
attribution to have OSM with at least the prominence of other companies.