[OSM-talk] Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

Andreas Vilén andreas.vilen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 21:36:39 UTC 2019

Hi!

The Turkish government has forced Google to delete a user made map of
Kurdistan. I read this in a Swedish news article here:
https://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/google-raderade-kurdistan-karta/ This is
the best English source I can find:
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/google-forced-to-delete-custom-made-map-of-kurdistan-amid-pressure-from-turkey/

They were forced to delete it for Turkish citizens but chose to delete it
completely anyway ("technical reasons"), but have since restored it for the
rest of the world:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&mid=1umTU2XPOmzQ245YY40dF_NNTpVc&ll=36.21402763739052%2C39.249140445657076&z=9

This got me thinking: how does OSM display Kurdistan? It seems, we don't.
This relation covers the Iranian province of Kurdistan:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5392650 However there doesn't seem
to be any map that covers the entire area.

I realize that it might be hard to map this since the region has no
official border, right? I have no local knowledge at all, so I'm really
just rising the topic for discussion. Also, there's no way to know if the
Turkish government will crack down on OSMF if we do this.

Opinions?

Regards Andreas