[OSM-talk] Ways divided by paint?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 00:04:55 UTC 2019

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 4. Jul 2019, at 11:49, Snusmumriken <snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com> wrote:
>>
>> A painted line that has the legal status of "do not cross" is a
>> perfectly fine reason to have a separate way.
>
> it doesn’t apply to many people though, for example pedestrians or emergency vehicles.

I have seen emergency vehicle cross physical barriers.

So by extension physical barriers should not be mapped. Which would be ridiculous.

> The definition for a separate highway way is that it implies a separate carriageway. We’ve set it like this. IMHO it can hardly put into discussion at this point. If you want to map by a different definition, safest would be to use a different key.

The definition of 'separation' relies on the local definition?

If there is a need to map barriers that provide emergency use .. then perhaps OSM should tag that with a different key.

If there is a requirement to distinguish between barriers of (leagl) paint and those of some height .. use the height key for those of some height.
The tag already exists and would provide emergency vehicles with information - a highway patrol vehicle may not cross something with height=.2 but a police 4WD rescue vehicle could.