[OSM-talk] handling street names in speech

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 16 15:30:23 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-16 16:54, John Whelan wrote:

> One or two are problematic usually as the street name is an abbreviation.    For example 1e Avenue in French meaning First Avenue.
>
> Any suggestions on how these should be handled?  This particular application is aimed at partially sighted people but I feel we should be able to come up with a generic solution.

Some kind of phonetic (IPA?) representation would be the ultimate
generic solution. Here in NL (and I guess in many other countries) there
are street names which are partially or entirely in other languages, and
the expectation is that they are pronounced as such. For example, Boeing
Avenue would sound completely weird if it were pronounced according to
Dutch rules. Truly multi-lingual countries like Belgium and Switzerland
should be able to make use of name:XX.

If we had name:XX:ipa=* we would have a place to put it, but the client
app would need to have a way of turning that into sounds. It will only
be needed if the pronunciation deviates from the standard for the
language in question, but speech synthesisers are never perfect and
often make mistakes....

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/264239/is-there-any-online-tool-to-read-pronounce-ipa-and-apa-written-words

Of course we will also need a way of entering IPA symbols....