[OSM-talk] handling street names in speech

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Wed Jul 17 08:44:32 UTC 2019

I don't think this counts as “tagging for the renderer”, which is more
about adding false data to “make the map look like what you want” (e.g.
“I want a blue line here, like the `route=ferry` line, so I'll use that”).

I think it could be very helpful for place names which aren't pronounced
the way you pronounce regular English words. e.g. in Ireland: “Dun
Laoghaire” [dun leary], “Tallaght” [tala], “Youghal” [yal], “Portlaoise”
[port leash]. This could be a problem even in England with places like
“Reading”, “Worchester”, “Cirencester”.