[OSM-talk] Removing "Wikiproject" prefix from place pages

Harry Wood mail at harrywood.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 09:04:31 UTC 2019

 The idea of getting rid of the "WikiProject" page title prefix. There's a bit of discussion of that herehttps://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_organisation#Page_Name_conventions.2Fguidelines
Discussion from 10 years ago!  As I said a the time, I support the idea in principle. I don't like the "WikiProject" prefixes on country pages and I've given my justification for that there, however it's a relatively subtle benefit and quite a disruptive major renaming exercise.
10 years later though there's a shift of opinion which might mean we're ready for this. What I mean is, over time there's probably fewer people feeling precious about their old wiki pages and more people feeling the wiki needs to be tidier! (and getting page naming right can help with tidiness although it's far from the only issue)
Another overlapping topic is how we use sub-pages. Generally we use them too much in my opinion. Often renaming a country page will entail renaming a whole load of sub-pages.
The list of "WikiProject" titled pages is here:https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/WikiProject?hideredirects=1
Harry