[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:42:46 UTC 2019

https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/23/facebook-speeds-up-mapping-data-validation-with-machine-learning-tools-map-with-ai-and-rapid/

"Facebook says that the mapping data validated by Map With AI β€” which will
be publicly available β€” might help to inform disaster urban planning and
development projects, and to improve Facebook products that use
OpenStreetMap like Marketplace, Local, and Pages."

oh the wonders! so what Facebook products are using OSM data? I don't see
the attribution or notice of OSM being used. can someone pinpoint me of
such? I have tried, but can't find it.

"β€œThe RapiD tool was developed in conjunction with those in the mapping
community who have been working in this area for many years. Because this
tool was built with their input, it is already having an impact,” said
Tyler Radford,executive director of the humanitarian OpenStreetMap team."

so HOT is behind this too?

" Above: Visualization of the geographic distribution of training data for
the road segmentation

model.
Image Credit: Facebook"

oh... they have added road data in Europe or just the training? haven't
seen that. lovely it's credited to Facebook