[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Jul 26 10:54:17 UTC 2019

On 7/26/2019 4:34 AM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> The corporate appropriation of OpenStreetMap

I'm not a corporate wonk, but I'll note that in my region, "Amazon
Logistics" is effectively solving the Last Mile Mapping problem: how to
include driveways into routing.    Based on ground truth, they're
including travel barriers, as well as other routes hidden under tree
cover.   There's no official data on driveways and it is impractical if
not dangerous to randomly walk or drive up private driveways to map them.

   Eventually, I'll be able to propose the use of an OSM app to local
Emergency Services who just recently noted that their response time
suffers as they attempt to find the proper driveway to enter, as well as
navigate the correct split driveway.

   [ I'm well aware that the Amazon mappers are not perfect and have
made newbie errors in other regions ]