[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Naveen Francis naveenpf at wikimedia.in
Mon Jul 29 10:02:13 UTC 2019

Thanks Simon for the caution.

Taking the of help AI doesn't mean that we do comprise on the quality.

All the methods for initial road tracing, GPS tracing, Satellite image
tracing or AI-assisted human mapping (which I have tried) has limitations.

On Indian roads, we try to document as much as possible so that we don't
make errors.  <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Roads>

On the rhetoric question:-
We are using OSM maps life savings projects. https://keralarescue.in/map/ .
(2018 Kerala floods maps)
So both quantity and quality are equally important.

Another good thing is we have already implemented your suggestion -
sensible comparison would be completeness measures per road categories

Categories wise completeness
NH : https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:National_Highways_(statewise)
SH:- https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/India:Roads#State_highways

All the best for fixing Tiger imports.