[OSM-talk] Terminate Facebook rights under ODbL

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jun 9 14:39:15 UTC 2019

9 Jun 2019, 13:08 by nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com:

I support efforts to stop large scale violation of OSM license by Facebook.

Note
"You must include a notice associated with
the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make any Person that uses,
views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the Produced
Work aware that Content was obtained from the Database, Derivative
Database, or the Database as part of a Collective Database, and that it
is available under this License."
in https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/index.html <https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/index.html>
that is clearly violated, nearly noone using FB is made aware
that maps are powered by OSM data.

But this attempt is a bit substandard

> I hereby request OSMF board, responsabile for the OSMF, as the Licensor under ODbL 9.4 c) to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL, if the violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice. as written on ODbL. > https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/index.html <https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/index.html>

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it is OSMF that must produce this notice (I may be mistaken here).

Also, can you consider not including such footer notices in emails posted on a public mailing list?