[OSM-talk] Wikibase items instead of usual templates for wiki pages?

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:34:51 UTC 2019

> I think we need to discuss if this is desired, before any more time is
> spent on adding all of those data items.

Joseph, I agree that ideally we should not have duplicates anywhere.
Currently we have thousands of mismatches between languages - e.g. in
statuses and what key/tag should be used on which element.  For example,
see status mismatches --  http://tinyurl.com/y62j5m5e -- (please fix them
in the wiki pages in the corresponding languages, the bot will
automatically update the data items)

Data items are currently auto-generated by a bot from the key/tag pages and
from taginfo statistics.  Data items already allowed tens of thousands of
descriptions to be added for languages that otherwise had nothing - so they
already brought a lot of positive documentation - mostly because they are
far easier to edit than to create a full-blown wiki page and understanding
wiki markup and template parameters.

There has been a number of discussions on the wiki itself (most
wiki-structure specific discussions have traditionally happened there, e.g.
how to organize templates, etc), but I am happy to discuss it in other
venues as well.