[OSM-talk] Wikibase items instead of usual templates for wiki pages?

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 23:02:38 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:23 AM Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> Pull requests work and that is exactly scheme used now - by iD, JOSM,
> Vespucci, StreetComplete etc.

Ahem, actually no, they do not -- as demonstrated by the recent scandal
with iD presets.  Community is disconnected from developers.

> "Accept all changes from Wiki" or "Treat changes from wiki as submitter
> PR" is unlikely to be considered as preferable.

Preferable by whom? The devs? See my previous point -- there is currently a
clear disconnect, and storing presets in the data items is a proposed way
out of that disconnect.

More importantly, I am still not sure I understand what it is that you
object to. A pull request is created by a user who proposes a certain
change to a preset. If the presets are stored in the data items, the
process is nearly the same -- a user proposes a change to a preset, except
that they do it in a wiki, and a bot translates that proposal into the
github's pull request. Same process, but it becomes easier to
analyze/validate/discuss such changes, and to show them in other wiki pages
for everyone to see.