[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - remove blatant duplicates (sustenance=fast_food on amenity=fast_food, atm=yes on amenity=atm etc.)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 12:55:11 UTC 2019

Am Fr., 14. Juni 2019 um 09:00 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <
matkoniecz at tutanota.com>:

> So in total I propose to remove
>
> atm=yes from amenity=atm http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JW8
> transportation=fuel from amenity=fuel http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JWe
> sustenance=restaurant from amenity=restaurant
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JWh
> sustenance=fast_food from amenity=fast_food http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JWc
> service=post_office from amenity=post_office
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/JWa

while it generally looks ok to do this automated removal, there could be
some point in

1.
sustenance=restaurant, although I would expect the restaurant-type to be
better fitting into a "restaurant" or "restaurant:type" tag.
I have so far been adding local restaurant (and fast food) types with the
key "restaurant:type:it", and this has become somehow common amongst
Italian mappers (not very common, currently 750 times applied), where
common values are ristorante, pizzeria, osteria, trattoria, rosticceria,
tavola calda, bar, enoteca, piadineria,...

Looking at the actual sustenance values (total usage around 200 only),
these are all duplicating words which are already tagged as amenity values
(restaurant, fast_food etc.), I also haven't found specific documentation
for this key (and without a defined meaning it seems pointless to establish
a duplicate key here).

2. service=post_office
It may not always be entirely clear these days what a post office is, while
say 30 years ago the answer to this question was quite simple in many
countries: the official, monopolized, state operated "official" post office.
What are the requirements, what is the definition? According to the wiki
[1], amenity=post_office is for "a post office" (and/or?) "a place where
letters and parcels may be sent or collected". This is very scarce. Is it
sufficient the place allows to collect letters and parcels? Is any place
where letters and parcels can be sent a "post office" (think messenger
services)? Why is there an "or" between "sent or collected", shouldn't that
be an "and"?
Commonly (quite country specific though), post offices may offer a lot more
services (offering post office boxes, sending / receiving money, selling
stamps, paying bills and taxes, identifying people, sending registered mail
and telegrams (yeah, these still exist), often post offices also act as a
bank, and they may also act as an insurance company, they may sell digital
signatures, etc. etc.). Ultimately the list of services would be very long
and repetitive if we tried to add all of them, but there could be a point
in listing postal services, financial services and banking, insurances.
If the value for "service" is repeating "post office", it doesn't make
sense, but the basic idea of having a service tag for post offices does not
seem completely odd.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpost_office