[OSM-talk] New mailing list about machine learning and OSM

Felix Delattre felix-lists at delattre.de
Thu Jun 27 13:25:39 UTC 2019

Hi Christoph,

On 6/27/19 12:28 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Thursday 27 June 2019, Felix Delattre via talk wrote:
>> Until this moment the conversation has been pretty much polemic from
>> people either hyping or hating these new techniques of programming
>> with automated statistics.
> No problem with creating a new thematic mailing list here but the above
> is somewhat insulting to those who have in the past discussed bot
> mapping in OSM on a serious level.

I don't think that ML = bot mapping. At least this is not what I would
like to use ML techniques for. And I also don't think this is in any
close to the spirit of OSM.

Please let me clarify, that I definitively don't want to insult anybody!
This is a respectful and humble request to bring us together in an open
and argumentative conversation.

> Could you by the way explain the term "automated statistics" - i had not
> heard this before and a quick search returns a lot of uses of this term
> in the context of database systems, which i however have the impression
> is not what you are talking about.  Most terms in this field are
> politically connotated - "artificial intelligence" implying a
> similarity to human intelligence, "machine learning" implying a
> similarity to human learning processes.

For me "automated statistics" for most cases seems to be a good way to
refer to what others call nowadays AI. Because it describes closer to
what is happening there. I'm really not a big fan of hyped buzzwords.
An Artificial Intelligence - which deserves the term - in my opinion has
not been achieved at all.

I'm looking forward to interesting conversations.
Best,
Felix