[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Mar 1 12:53:04 UTC 2019

Mar 1, 2019, 1:05 PM by mikel.maron at gmail.com:

> As enthusiastic as I am to see osm “in the wild”, I’m irritated by license shaming. I know, it’s irritating by design. I don’t believe it works and just casts a bad light of OSM.

I agree, and probably most mappers agree. That is probably reason why there is little to no reaction
to widespread missing attribution.

I think to solve this problem OSMF should act.

Just notifying Mapbox and other companies responsible for violations that they have right to
file DMCA would be a good start. Hopefully it will not be blocked by conflict of interest.

I really agree that shaming would not be strong enough to be a good use of time.