[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Mar 1 21:18:16 UTC 2019

Mar 1, 2019, 9:42 PM by osm at tobias-knerr.de:

> I don't perceive off-map attribution as a recent trend: This style of
> OSM attribution was reasonably popular even back then, especially in
> mobile apps.

(...)

> This is my personal preference, but I would still require equal
> prominence with other brands. Showing "Mapbox"² on-map, but moving OSM
> elsewhere, does not feel fair.
>
> Especially in situations where a data user does make other efforts to
> put OSM in the spotlight – e.g. by telling the user about OSM during map
> downloads or through a long-lived, or interactive, splash screen – I
> believe we should not insist on the corner placement.

I am not sure about showing it just during downloads.

For me corner placement is also not something fundamental.

For example see Wikipedia images - I am OK with off-map attribution
in say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_Island#Landmarks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_Island#Landmarks>

Though for full screen maps there is more than enough space to fit it
and in such cases it should appear.

And showing giant Mapbox/TomTom logo while pretending that there is
no space for proper attribution is just case of blatant lies.