[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 10:40:55 UTC 2019

Am So., 3. März 2019 um 22:08 Uhr schrieb Nuno Caldeira <
nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com>:

> Now the worst case, Facebook. Here's Facebook reply to my email back in
> October 2018:
>
> We don’t currently have attribution on the map “previews” as the map in
> preview form isn’t very informative and the intent is that users will click
> into the experience to actually make use of the map. Once a user clicks on
> the map, the attribution experience is readily available.  I believe that
> this is the approach taken by many services which offer a map feature.
>
> With respect to the use of the “i” indicating attribution, we understand
> that may others in the industry have adopted a similar approach –most
> likely to address the limited map real estate and the multiple sources of
> attribution.  We believe that it’s common knowledge that additional
> information, including license information related to the mapping feature,
> can be accessed by clicking the “i.”  This appears to be common industry
> practice and reasonably calculated to make users aware that OSM is a
> contributor of a map.
>

> Again, we thank you for your suggestions, and we value our partnership
> with the OSM community.
>
> So they also have their own interpretation of when and how attribution
> needs to be shown. Screen size doesnt matter here, not even on desktop they
> visibly attribute OSM, you have to click 3 times to figure out what's the
> map is from. When they had HERE maps, they visibly credited them.
> Sounds good that the industry standard is not attributing. Applause. I
> replied, never got a reply back in October. Reached Facebook again in
> January the 6th 2019 with CC to Mapbox, received the email reading receipt
> ( on the 8th), but never a reply. Guess they have better things to do than
> to reply to a contributor of OSM.

Thank you Nuno for sharing your experience. It is a shame they blatantly
ignored the attribution requirements and admitted it. What they did not
mention in their reply is that you will not have gotten the "attribution
experience" on an iPhone (and likely not on other specific devices),
because they would have opened the standard (apple in the iphone case) map
app when you clicked on the map.
Interestingly, currently there is no map any more on the pages (as far as I
can see, without being logged in), which could be read as a sign someone
actually follows this thread here.

Cheers,
Martin