[OSM-talk] Openstreetmap-carto switching to ocean polygons

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 07:49:30 UTC 2019

> I am not sure you will get some response to “...it needs testing...” especially not from GIS and vector map-makers

This notification is not for people who are designing their own maps,
but for users of the CartoCSS style called "Openstreetmap-carto" which
is hosted on github. This is the style that is used by the OSM
foundation servers to display the "standard" map layer that you see on
openstreetmap.org, and it's designed to be rendered as a raster map,
currently.

You can see the change planned here:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3694

> Using generalized version of water polygons without synchronization with other object classes (lakes, rivers, forests...) causes serious logical and aesthetic cartographic problems.

Are you talking about the use of
simplified-water-polygons-complete-3857 and
simplified-land-polygons-complete-3857 from openstreetmapdata.com?
These files are supposed to look identical to the full-data versions
when rendered at low zoom. If you think they have problems, please
open an issue on github so that we can discuss this at the proper
place:  https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/new

There are also generalized coastlines and shapefiles available at
http://openstreetmapdata.com/data/generalized-coastlines however these
are not currently used by the Openstreetmap-carto stylesheet.

You could also email Jochen and Christoph, the creators of the
shapefiles, directly at info at openstreetmapdata.com if you has specific
technical suggestions.

-Joseph