[OSM-talk] How to save Overpass query results to a GeoJSON file with Python?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 11 17:14:55 UTC 2019

Mar 11, 2019, 4:04 PM by ccamara at pm.me:

> Thanks for your reply, Mateusz.
>
> I know (and use) Overpass turbo. However, what I want to do is to store a query and execute it in order to update results and store them as a file for further manipulation

OK, in that case you probably don;t need materials that I linked

> So far, I found > overpy <https://github.com/DinoTools/python-overpy>> , which seems to work fine in terms of querying but has two problems for me:
> It seems to be unmaintained (last commit dates from April 2017)

Unfortunately there is no really good library for Overpass access - I was looking for one
some time ago and found nothing that would work well (maintained, support for
queries longer than URL limit, support for filesystem caching).

> You propose a third way, which is using overpass and writing a script. It is not clear to me what do you mean with that, since I thought that that was precisely what I was attempting.

Yes - I was not proposing any new way.