[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Mar 15 20:24:22 UTC 2019

Because it is especially broken and confusing - and promotes tagging for renderer.

"not hurting anybody in any way" is quite strong claim that I think is false.

It is not a big problem but every time someone encounters it for the first time
either has one more thing on "confusing things about OSM" or wastes time
on checking what is this thing.

And "create new versions of object" is extremely minor cost.

"The correct way to handle this is to" - I would say that it is a matter of opinion what is preferred.

Personally I consider one more entry in history to be vastly less confusing and irritating
than a directly visible tag that should not be present.

Mar 15, 2019, 9:13 PM by simon at poole.ch: