[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Mar 20 20:09:31 UTC 2019

On 15.03.19 21:13, Simon Poole wrote:
> Why would we want to create new versions of objects just to remove a tag
> that is not hurting anybody in any way?

Mostly for the reason which Mateusz has mentioned in his response:
Keeping obsolete tagging around for years or decades adds to the burden
of concepts that new community members need to learn to fully understand
our data.

But additionally, I would argue that removing them all at once actually
results in a cleaner history than automatic removal by editors. It seems
to me that performing these edits in one clearly labelled changeset fits
our best practices – grouping related edits into a changeset and using
meaningful changeset comments – much better than mixing them into
completely unrelated changes would.