[OSM-talk] iD invents nosquare=yes for buildings which should not be squared

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri May 10 17:57:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

Trying to get focus back on the thread topic.

Storing hints like nosquare=yes (or square=no) is not best practice of
data curation on w worldwide level.

At Thu., 9. Mai 2019 23:56 Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
> The question was not about validating square or not square buildings, it
> is about storing a hint for iDs validation mechanism permanently in OSMs
> data. There is some precedent for doing so, as was mentioned in the github
> issue, still it is a bit controversial and discussion when adding such a
> feature should be expected.
> I believe the issue is more about the unwillingness to take community
> feedback seriously ...

This attitude needs to be changed. I expect a discussion on tags like
this on a broader level (i.e. outside issue trackers) _before_ it's
being implement in an editor like iD.

> Which brings us back full circle to the discussion of the privileged position
> of the default editor on openstreetmap.org and the related transparency ...

Currently the OSMF Board is doing a community survey about topics and
issues that matter to us (https://osmf.limequery.org/489698?lang=en ).
I think this issue becomes one of my inputs.

:Stefan