[OSM-talk] Documenting controversial iD decisions

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 00:45:24 UTC 2019

The problem is www.openstreetmap.org has a link to edit OSM.  When it
was first put in it probably was a very reasonable thing to do but we do
not have a change management system in place and over time iD has changed.

The real problem is new mappers will naturally edit OSM through the link
thinking it is the "official"way to do it and the editor has been tested
and approved etc.

However as stated iD is evolving and is becoming more powerful.  I
understand in NYC a relative newcomer using the new validation feature
of iD has made a very large number of changes to NYC and that I think is
the sort of thing we wish to avoid.

So mentally split the idea of ID as an editor and what should be the
default editor for newcomers for OSM.  The requirements seem to be
different.  If iD is not the default editor on www.openstreetmap.org
then treat it the same as any other OSM editor.

If it is then I think it needs to be held to a higher standard that
protects new mappers from creating havoc.  Whether this is a new mapper
switch or a reduced fork of iD or a requirement that you cannot edit the
map unless you have completed an online course and passed an exam first
I wouldn't like to say.  I do know that HOT for example has very high
turn over of mappers so a forty hour training course might not be
welcomed by everyone even if we could agree the syllabus.

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>