[OSM-talk] How to Translate Strings in OSM to other languages

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Fri May 31 18:42:37 UTC 2019

> In general, it is impossible to find proper names in one language when you
> have solely name in other language. One needs more context to actually do
> this.
>
> To make the translator's job easier, I do a google or bing or wikidata
> or some machine translation, so that they can skip the correct one.
> They can only fix the wrong translations.
>
> I would not expect some reasonable quality from that.
>
> I would expect locals to be able to determine this. From your post, I
assume that you are a local and fluent in Tamil, and therefore able to tell
whether the translations from your volunteers are correct. I would suggest
testing with a small sample for translation using your proposed translation
process and then manually edit those names to see whether you get the
results you're hoping for.

> Also, note that imports from wikidata to OSM are not acceptable.
> See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikidata#Importing_data_from_Wikidata_into_OSM
>
> Given that the proposal involves only suggested translations and
post-editing by human translators, I would not consider this an import from
Wikidata, as the human translators break any (already limited by law) IP
claims in names.