[OSM-talk] Maintaining privacy as a casual mapper

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Nov 4 11:17:24 UTC 2019

Am 04.11.2019 um 10:03 schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On 2019-11-04 09:28, Simon Poole wrote:
>> Am 03.11.2019 um 23:08 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
>>> it depends from whom you hide, but generally you should not use a
>>> traceable email account if you want to remain anonymous. Using
>>> Google would seem like a total no-go (they are even reserving the
>>> right to read your emails). Use a live distro like tails (tor
>>> browser, spoofs browser a system details, etc. ), do not connect
>>> from your home or someone else’s home or any other places that you
>>> are related to, do not use a third party login but create a new
>>> account for every edit you make and use throw away email addresses
>>> for signup. Use generic user names and email addresses created by a
>>> random string generator, only use the most common tools like iD and
>>> maybe josm, do not use rarely used tags, avoid changeset comments
>>> and other free text fields like description and note.
>>
>> Note, lots of the above would be violations of our ToU, and outside of
>> that, neither desirable nor a good idea.
>
> Lots? Care to elaborate on that? Where are the ToU, is it
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use_-_Discussion_Draft>
> (to which I can have some comments too)?

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use  and linked to from the
sign up page, and from the map page. There where multiple opportunity
last year to comment on the draft (which has nothing to do with the old
wiki page you linked too), which you seemed to have not used, even
though it was widely announced.

> In any case, if the link I posted are the ToU, I don't see any of
> those points being a violation of the ToU. In the case of the account,
> where the ToU says "You represent and warrant that the information you
> provide to OSMF upon registration and, at all other times, will be
> true, accurate, current, and complete" it is an empty point since
> there is no verifiable information I _have_ to enter into my account.
> Just a screen name (not my legal name) and an email address.

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use#II._Privacy requires
you to keep your contact information (which is currently your e-mail
address) current. This is not really new as it was implied by doing away
with anonymous edits in 2007.

> Further items like my location and a profile description are optional.

To be clear certain risk reduction measures are completely OK and we
outline these in the privacy policy, what is not OK is anything that
amounts to de facto making the edits anonymous to the OSMF.

Simon