[OSM-talk] Addressing SIG

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Nov 7 15:00:17 UTC 2019

The issue with addresses is definitely not due to a lack of tools for
OSM contributors. For example
https://regio-osm.de/hausnummerauswertung/anzeige_dynamisch.html?land=Schweiz&lon=8.71423&lat=47.05777&zoom=8&layers=B0000
which covers essentially all the analytics needed for comparison with
open data datasets and that since years (not mention the various address
QA layers available, again since years). On the data entry side there
are good tools both for surveying, import and conflation en masse.

What might be missing is simpler variant of
https://osmybiz.osm.ch/#/18/47.40514/8.40289 (I actually have the domain
addmyaddress.org stashed away somewhere for that), but while it would be
nice to provide a simple facility for people to check and potentially
add their address, it is clear that the targeted long tail is not going
to make a substantial difference in coverage.

So what it really boils down to is grunt work*time (and that is even
true for imports). In Central Europe we are well on the way to
acceptable coverage, given a couple of years more I suspect it will be
really good. Nearly everywhere else (special case the US, and apologies
to all the the exceptions to "nearly everywhere") we are missing
essential metadata that should come first, aka road names and
references, POIs, places and so on, essentially all the stuff that
building doodling and ML doesn't provide, but is essential to actually
having a usable map.

Simon