[OSM-talk] Tesla using OSM without attribution?

MARLIN LUKE luke.marlin at viacesi.fr
Tue Nov 12 10:11:14 UTC 2019

I've recently come across the information that Tesla might be using OSM, at least for it's "smart summon" feature. The point of the feature is to make the car self drive to you from it's parking lot.

Tesla Motor Club Forum users have noticed that the "smart summon" works better when they correct OSM data in the parking lots around them [1].
Tesla Motor Club put up a small article that sums it up [2] but in the forum there is additional information that might be valuable. There, a user mention sytem logs about Vahlalla: a lib that apparently relies on OSM [3].

I don't own one so I cannot check if there is any attribution, however it looks like there is none.

I'm also unsure what to do with that information if it is true, that's why I'm opening up this thread.

[1] https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-owners-can-edit-maps-to-improve-summon-routes.172027/
[2] https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/11/04/tesla-owners-can-edit-maps-to-improve-summon-routes/
[3] https://github.com/valhalla/valhalla