[OSM-talk] bridging chatrooms

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 12:42:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

In the run-up to SotM there were some (justified) complaints that the
chatroom for the event was only available using Telegram. I'm not
interested in a discussion about whether this is no issue at all or rather
a Big Issue. I'd rather just fix the issue, without forcing anyone to
change. It should be relatively easy to bridge Telegram to IRC. But it
seems to require a tool installed on a server. Is there anyone who has
experience with this? And especially: is willing to host it somewhere?

I have a similar issue with a room I've set up in Matrix. It bridges
perfectly to IRC, but the bridge to Telegram hosted by tchncs.de keeps
failing. Does anyone here know how to fix such issues?
I think it might be an interesting solution to have an OSMF hosted Matrix
server and use that as a central hub to bridge several chat systems to each
other.

It is also annoying that discussion on some platforms can only be accessed
if you have an account for that platform. On some platforms, the person who
started the channel, can just delete all messages. And of course there's
also the risk that the platform operator disappears or starts charging for
access to history. So a next step would be to start archiving conversations
in a searchable way. Maybe something like CSV, maybe just using (for
example) an OSMF hosted Matrix server. This could then maybe be linked to
OSM accounts. Semi-public archiving would need to be opt-in, since people
often consider chat a fleeting medium which they would prefer not to be
quoted on.

--
Joost Schouppe