[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Sep 8 17:59:19 UTC 2019

Am 08.09.2019 um 19:39 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote:
>> /If OpenStreetMap is not the largest data provider for the visible
>> map rendering, attribution with other sources on a separate page that
>> is visible after user interaction is acceptable./
>>
>> [...]
> For understanding the practical function of such a rule (and the efforts
> necessary to circumvent it of course) - how do you measure the fraction
> OSM accounts for as data provider for a map, especially if several
> different data types are involved.  If you go by data volume (which can
> be easily changed by several orders of magnitude through geometry
> compression and expansion methods of course) i would probably say i
> have never seen a map with relief depiction (like shading or countour
> lines) where the majority of the data is from OSM.  Any satellite image
> layer with annotation labels and lines (boundaries, roads etc.) from
> OSM would equally be exempt from visible attribution under such rule.

I think you are confusing potentially extractable information with
actual data. For example satellite imagery may have a potentially high
information content that could be with appropriate processing be turned
in to data, but each image in itself is at most one datum. Now waiting
for the every image is a pixel database argument.

SimonĀ