[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:41:30 UTC 2019

Re: > where to put the attribution when multiple sources have been
used in a map rendering and OSM is not the source of the majority of
the data presented.

On (or on top of) the rendered map, in the same font weight as any
other logo or other copyright notice, and preferably with a clickable
hyperlink to https://www.openstreetmap.org (only required if this is
also offered for other features on the map).

The (c)Openstreetmap should be included if any other attribution is
included. If there isn't room for (c)OSM, then there should not be any
other logo or copyright on the map either. In in this case a generic
"i" or "(c)" link could be included to another page - so the only
situation where Openstreetamp attribution should not be shown on the
map is where there is not room for any attribution or logo.

> Nobody is making any exceptions.

The currently policy seems to allow rendered maps to show the logo of
the map renderer and copyrights of other data sources on the map if
they make up the majority of the data shown, without showing the
Openstreetmap copyright notice or link. I think it's clear that
several contributors disagree with this exception, myself included.

-Joseph Eisenberg

(Disclosure: Just a volunteer contributor as a mapper and at
Openstreetmap-carto, I don't have any financial interest in this
project, nor will the copyright policy directly affect me, except when
I print out maps, I suppose)