[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 00:56:30 UTC 2019

On 10/09/2019 01:19, Nuno Caldeira wrote:
> oh good. strange that we still get email complains about Instagram
> users of their address being on OSM, when it's not.
>  so we have Facebook number, mind asking the number so we can call to
> ask to comply with the attribution?

We (the DWG) certainly get far less direct mail than we did when
Instagram's report button sent an email _directly_ to the DWG.  We still
get complaints about data on Facebook maps every now and again, but far
fewer than we used to.  The complaints tend to be one of "map is old",
"map is wrong" or "map is showing personal information that it
shouldn't".  In most or all of these cases the problem isn't related to
OSM as it currently is at all but to either:

  * data shown on top of an OSM or non-OSM basemap (such as Facebook's
    "places" data),

  * the data, even when it did come from OSM in the past,  just not
    being up to date.

You can also see questions like this at https://help.openstreetmap.org/
, such as
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/70532/the-wrong-map-on-face-book
(in that example I mentioned the help question to someone from Facebook
on https://osmus.slack.com/ , and someone else from Facebook was able to
answer it directly).

Seperately to the DWG mails, quite a lot of the traffic to OSM's DMCA
email address concerns Facebook, but most of these messages are from
people who have (putting it charitably) misunderstood the purpose of the
DMCA form - they're not really actionable by anyone.

Best Regards,

Andy (from the DWG)