[OSM-talk] Tagging Governance

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Sep 10 14:54:54 UTC 2019

Am 10.09.2019 um 16:08 schrieb Bryan Housel:
> Simon you’re completely wrong about this, but I doubt there is anything that I can say that would change your mind.  The "US-corporate bubble" does not care about the tags used by the iD presets as much as you think they do.

I don't think I remotely implied that the actual tags were at question
in this case.

> The decisions we make in iD with the tags are mostly because 1. someone asked us to in a ticket or pull request, and we try to give people what they want..  or 2. we are trying to solve an actual problem - for example, the explicit tagging of piers and platforms came from us trying to detect routing islands (we rolled this back when people complained).
Well that is a -slight- simplification of what happened. We can
partially follow it here
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/6409#issuecomment-494888256
Except that we don't even know why in the end the changes were reverted,
insight? External pressure? Or what? Obviously it wasn't just people
complaining or else it would have been far earlier.

> Anyway, good luck with tagging.  When you frame the discussion this way, don’t be surprised when we are reluctant to participate.

If there was more upfront transparency and discussion then likely the
whole thing likely wouldn't be needed. I'm not saying there wouldn't be
any disagreement, but it would be centred around the actual changes and
not around your behaviour which is what in the end is causing the high
tension.

Simon