[OSM-talk] Reports of FB problems to FB rather than to OSM (was: Attribution guideline status update)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 17:12:07 UTC 2019

On 10/09/2019 17:40, Kathleen Lu via talk wrote:
> Not that I've heard (I don't think that was ever the case), but 1000s
> of notes about FB on OSM sounds terrible to me - they would only add
> noise for mappers who check notes for things to fix, and some editors
> show notes in the interface. My understanding is that FB *is* fixing
> whatever errors get reported to them, so isn't it better for them to
> do all that work?

Quite a lot of the "Facebook" tickets that the DWG currently get are of
the form "I tried to contact Facebook, nothing happened, so I'm
contacting you".  I therefore wouldn't assume that FB is fixing
everything that is reported to them (or even that everything reported to
them is actually a problem; I mentioned before that quite a few or the
DMCA tickets that the DWG sees aren't really actionable).

OSM notes are a different issue.  Of the OSM notes mentioning Facebook:

https://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/notes/search?q=facebook&closed=0

quite a lot are of the "please add company X" variety (some spam, some
not), but there are also quite a few "Facebook's map of X is wrong"
too.  I don't know how many there are of these in total as OSM's notes
API just returns the first 100 matching.  My "finger in the air" guess
(based on how far back in time 100 notes goes) is that there are ~300 or
so still open rather than "1000s".

Best Regards,

Andy