[OSM-talk] Tile server access

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 13:58:09 UTC 2020

On 17/04/2020 13:53, Tom Browder wrote:
> I am trying to build my own tile server because I have given up on
> Google Maps and need a replacement. I am getting help on the Github
> account of @Overv and repo 'openstreetmap-tile-server'.
>
> I would like to offer access to my server to others when I get it
> running, but is there any built-in mechanism in the map stack to limit
> who can access it or rate limit it somehow?

There's a "ModTileEnableTileThrottling" parameter that you can turn on -
see
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/mod_tile/blob/switch2osm/mod_tile.conf#L124
for the comments in the config file.

My recollection of the Docker container (which I presume is what you're
using) is that it allows lots of parameters to be passed through (the
readme's at
https://github.com/Overv/openstreetmap-tile-server/blob/master/README.md
).  Not sure if the option to set this flag on is there, but I'm sure
that you could set it somehow.

There are a bunch of other options that I looked at ages ago such as
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_ratelimit.html , but someone
running a larger or more public tile server would be better placed to
comment on what the best option is now.

Best Regards,

Andy