[OSM-talk] {Disarmed} Funding of three infrastructure projects : Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch 2

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Sun Aug 2 09:01:32 UTC 2020

Le 01/08/2020 à 02:27, Guillaume Rischard a écrit :

>   Hi all,
>
> The OSMF Board wants to facilitate and support improving
> infrastructure. During the Microgrants process, there were proposals
> that didn’t make it, but would together be a good pilot for a “OSM
> infrastructure” process, to learn how supporting osm infrastructure
> projects works well.
>
> The OSMF Board wants to fund a limited number of projects proposed by
> trusted long-term volunteers whose work we know and enjoy. We have
> selected the osm2pgsql and Potlatch microgrant proposals, and have a
> new proposal from Nominatim.
>
> In the long term, we want to re-activate the Engineering Working Group
> (EWG) by making it a place for decision making, project guidance and
> budget management for such projects.
>
> The Board would like your feedback on these three specific
> infrastructure projects:

Very good news !

Infrastructure is not only hardware and network, it's also code and
humans to make all this run as smoothly as possible.

If enough funds are available for all project, they should all be funded.

For a long term view, helping new devs to get familiar with old code is
a key to maintain legacy code when it still represent a large dependance
in the infrastructure. By infrastructure I see the OSMF one, but also
all the OSM ecosystem.

osm2pgsql is a good example of a key tool used by a lot of people (not
only OSMF). We've seen recently with a single changeset causing failed
updates how dependant a lot of people can be from that "old code". I'm
also thinking the same about mod_tile/renderd, where maintenance seems
minimal.

nominatim seems less broadly used, but it still is an important tool on
OSMF web site.

potlatch... I don't really put it in the infrastructure, but if funds
are available why not give it a few more years life even if a tiny
portion of changesets are made with it.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France