[OSM-talk] Funding of three infrastructure projects : Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 10:28:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-02 11:55, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> The other is that
> 2020's P2 users, contrary to the cliche of 2010, are actually pretty
> skilled and experienced (by definition the beginner users use iD
> these days) - many of them have a four-figure number of
> changesets - so installing AIR shouldn't be beyond them.

Right, my intention wasn't really to allude to any skill level (although
I agree my statement very much reads like it). It's more that casual
mappers typically have lots of other hobbies, and have limited time
available for OSM. As a consequence they'd appreciate an editor that is
easy to work with and accessible without much hassle. Flash was widely
known outside of OSM before Potlatch was available, and I believe having
Flash as a prerequisite was never much of an issue in the last 10+
years, at least initially back in ~2010.

With AIR, I just don't know. I've never used it, and I also don't know
what casual mappers will think about it. Let's be positive, and assume
installation works just like a charm :)