[OSM-talk] Funding of three infrastructure projects : Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch 2

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:55:16 UTC 2020

On 04/08/2020 05.30, pangoSE wrote:
> On older hardware like my 2 core 2ghz laptop iD is slow. Loading
> while saving an edit is slow, while JOSM is always fast and saving
> does not close the edit view so you can continue without waiting for
> a browser to load the iD editor again which is also slow.
I want your JVM :-). I have yet to encounter a Java program (including
JOSM) that isn't sluggish. (JOSM could be worse, but it's nowhere near
what I'd expect from a well-written *native* application.)

> Matthew Woehlke skrev: (3 augusti 2020 16:14:13 CEST)
>> (¹ iD can 'square up' individual nodes and does a passable job with
>> *mostly* orthogonal shapes with the odd 45° angle. There are ways to
>> work with those in JOSM, but generally speaking if you try to square a
>> shape with a single 'wild' node, JOSM turns the whole thing into a hot
>> mess.)
>
> This sounds like a bug. Have you reported it?

Ah... I partially retract that. I think the problem is that I'm trying
to make it work more like iD which permits *selective* squaring. I
probably have some nodes selected that's making it go bonkers.

Really, this is a missing feature; I want a way to either square up
individual nodes, or only angles that are within some delta of 90°
already (and maybe to snap other angles to e.g. 45°).

Meanwhile, I've gotten better at creating scratch geometry to help with
construction, but I would practically *kill* for JOSM to have FreeCAD's
suite of sketch constraints ;-).

--
Matthew